Sunday, January 5, 2014

Yes, Another year

We finished our 5th round of AI this past weekend, 4 ewes (one 75% and three 50%). Cross your fingers.

Last year's AI resulted in one successful take, good news; it was our 75% ewe that took- bad news; she gave us twin boys :(
(in fact we had 7 lambs from 4 ewes in 2013, 6 boys and one girl...what are the odds?)

So this year, a repeat of last. But we'll be upgrading our 75% clean up ram (prince) for one of the two 87.5% rams. We sent their blood off to Gene Check to make sure we have an ARR on them.

People ask if I intend to let lower percentages go, and yes I will. Our 75% Ram will clean up next month and then we'll be looking for a new home for him for the2014 season. We'll also be divesting of our 50% ewes, after we have their progeny. If an AI ewe- yay, if a result of  a 'clean-up' that's fine too.

5 comments:

  1. Keep me in mind still Id like a couple rams at least.

    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any rams available? I couldn't find any contact information to find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, right now I've an 87.5% yearling Ram and my 75% ram. Several people have asked, but no one has come to take them yet. :)

      Delete
  3. I don't know how to comment! Please edit my remarks if each one goes through! Can we see pictures of your sale lambs (besides Prince). And how did your AI go this year?-Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Laurel.
    I ended up with just one 'natural' covered ewe lamb.
    All AI lambs were male.
    I now, what are the odds?

    Rick

    ReplyDelete